Pythian is a global IT services company based in Ottawa, ON, that specializes in designing, implementing, and managing systems that directly contribute to revenue and business success. We help companies adopt disruptive technologies such as advanced analytics, big data, cloud, databases, DevOps and infrastructure management to advance innovation and increase agility. We have continued to expand to offer not just services but also to focus on product development leveraging new and exciting technology that will empower our customers through digital transformation. Pythian is seeking an intermediate full stack cloud software developer that will serve as a technical contributor to Pythian's Software-Defined Enterprise (SDE) a team that acts as a hub for innovation within Pythian, who are charged with the research and development of new product offerings. We are looking for developers who consider themselves either specialists in back-end server technologies or UI technologies but ideally both. More than just a job we hire people who love what they do!
As the intermediate full stack cloud developer you will work as part of an agile continuous delivery team in the Ottawa head office and collaborate with designers, senior developers, operators, project managers, and others to help deliver product capabilities and features. You will be working to develop new frameworks and scalable infrastructure utilizing technologies such as AWS, MuleSoft, OutSystems, Automation, Docker Containers, NodeJS, Java etc. If you have a passion for development and problem solving this could be the job for you!
What Will You Be Doing?
- Develop web, mobile, server and/or desktop applications quickly and with quality
- Write code, write tests, research, analyse, and become an expert in cutting-edge technologies, frameworks, architecture and design
- Move fast: look for new ideas, quickly prototype, A/B test, and move to production
- Work with development and project management teams to define user story acceptance criteria during a sprint, break down complex stories into tasks, and estimate, plan and deliver
- Interact with architects, UX, and Ops. Participate in architecture, design, and review meetings
- Assume various agile development and DevOps roles as required
- Be up-to-date with development trends, cloud technologies, open source, and best practices
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on all aspects of development and process
- Mentor more junior developers, do code reviews, peer programming
What Do We Need From You?
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related degree (or equivalent experience in software engineering)
- 3+ years experience in a similar developer job, developing large-scale server applications and/or micro-services using several languages and frameworks (Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, …)
- Exposure to SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Hibernate/ORM) and/or NoSQL databases (Cassandra, Mongo, RethinkDB, ElasticSearch).
- Familiarity with DevOps tooling for development (Docker, Vagrant), orchestration (Kubernetes, Google, or AWS cloud) and deployment (Ansible, Puppet, Chef). Experience in production deployments on IaaS (AWS, GCE, Azure, OpenStack) and PaaS (CloudFoundry) a big plus
- Familiarity with Jira or other productivity platform extension development would be great
- Experience with Kanban, Scrum and other agile development methodologies
- Desire to work in a fast paced, deadline driven, start up like environment
What Do You Get in Return?
- Competitive total rewards packages
- Why Commute? Work remotely
- Outstanding people: Collaborate with the industry’s top minds.
- Substantial training allowance: Hone your skills or learn new ones; participate in professional development days.
- Office Allowance: Purchase a device of your choosing and personalise your work environment
- Fun, fun, fun: Get social every Friday with some refreshments and edible delights, blog during work hours; take a day off and volunteer for your favorite charity
Intrigued to see what a job is like at Pythian or check us out @Pythian and #pythianlife. Follow @PythianJobs on Twitter and @loveyourdata on Instagram!
Not the right job for you? Check out what other great jobs Pythian has open in Ottawa and around the world! Pythian Careers
How to apply
Apply online at https://pythian.com/career-opportunities/