As a Front-End Developer, you’ll be working with a fast-moving ecommerce development team, turning ideas into elegantly simple solutions that delight our members. We are a diverse group of energetic and adventurous people who support the co-op in many ways, from enabling the business through technology to creating amazing digital experiences for our members.
MEC is more than a store, and we’re more than a place to buy hats and backpacks. We’re a physical and digital hub for the Canadian outdoor community. People connect here, through our stores, online channels, over the phone, or through one of our leading events, clinics or services.
MEC is an equal opportunity employer. We’re proud to work with our people to create a diverse workplace, which accommodates individuals of all abilities, backgrounds and identities. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Tell us what you need during the hiring process, and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
If you like working with an inclusive, hands-on, collaborative team, who connect people with quality products and experiences to encourage active outdoor lives, then this is the team for you. MEC is an awesome place if you’re always learning and trying new things, like bouldering, yoga or trail running!
You love building amazing digital experience and have an obsessive appreciation for high quality code and keeping it simple. You are relentless with learning and exploring new techniques and tools while taking great pride in choosing the right tools for the job. You work best in a team, and get energy working with others to achieve a common goal.
What you do:
- Participate in all aspects of front-end development, including technology decisions, technical design, code review, QA.
- Write and maintain testable, scalable, and robust front-end code with a high level of quality
- Work closely with stakeholders to identify, prioritize and refine requirements based on an understanding of existing and emerging trends in digital commerce
- Investigate and propose recommendations for ecommerce development technical issues and challenges
- Effectively communicate technical and architectural solutions through lightweight documentation, wikis, whiteboards, etc.
- Provide functional and technical expertise for our ecommerce solutions to internal staff
- Teach and inspire your peers.
What you bring:
- Experience designing and building modern web applications (e.g. SPA, PWA)
- Proficiency building web applications using React and surrounding ecosystem (e.g. Redux, React Router)
- Proficiency with CSS
- Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies, and skill in personal task management
- Knowledge of front-end performance, and factors effecting performance
- Appreciation for accessibility, and ideally experience writing accessible front-end code
- Knowledge and experience with responsive development techniques, and cross browser/device development
- Deference to the style guide; you likely have preferences for tabs, spaces, and general code style, but as a team player are happy to defer to the code style guide
- Great communication skills – you listen first, then share knowledge. This goes for both speaking and writing. You have the ability to communicate ideas using both technical and user-friendly language
How To Apply
Apply online at https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/careers